OT Re: [TriLUG] SSN for applying to jobs

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Fri Nov 26 16:36:11 EST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 9:05 am, Craig Cook wrote:
<snip>
> I can understand if I had been short listed and the company wanted to do a
> security check on me before offering a job, but a credit check?  That
> doesn't make sense.  Who cares if an employee has bad/low credit?  If
> someone develops poor credit while working for you - is that a reason to
> dismiss them?
>
> That is in the same category as doing a drug screen before starting a job.
> What is to say I don't develop a drug habbit after starting work for
> someone? I know 99% of jobs here require a drug screen and everyone seems
> to accept that.  Other countries I have worked in do not require drug
> screens.
>
> A criminal record for fraud would be different, but low credit, or low drug
> use?  If it doesn't interfere with your work, why does an employer care?
>
> The drug test did not detect alcohol.  So, you could be alcoholic, and
> still work for someone, but take "recreational" drugs and you're not
> working? I know drugs are illegal - but so is exceeding the speed limit, or
> rolling through a stop sign, or red light.
>
> hmm... this is starting to get off topic.
>
> Craig Cook
> btw, I don't have a criminal record, do drugs, or have poor credit ;)

Just a note on your comments above.  AT&T is a DOD supplier.  So there is a
good chance that if you end up in a role that deals with the DOD that you
will have to have a security clearance.  Now somethings to note about
Security Clearances.....  They check everything and I think that the last
timet that I heard the cost per investigation (because they are done by the
US Gov) was ~$50K per.

So if they pull your credit record and see that you have declared bankrupcy
once then they know that it is not worth their time to submit you as that
will not pass the clearances (execept maybe a secret).

What will not pass without a wavier:

DWI
History of alcohol related incidents
Credit problems- including late payment
Bankrupcy
Any felony conviction

Now that list is not all inclusive and it was from memory (the last time that
I resubmitted a clearance request was in 1995) so things may have changed,
but when I got my first clearance it was eye opening when I went back in for
my second "interview" with DIS (Defense Investigative Services).

Matthew Lavigne