[TriLUG] dragging between virtual desktops - FC3 & KDE

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Nov 26 22:25:33 EST 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 04:16 pm, Marc Maxwell wrote:

> One thing I missed was that in Gnome I could, by default, drag stuff
> around within and among the various virtual desktops.

Whether this is a feature or an annoyance depends on your preference.  I like
KDE's default, and if I move things between desktops, I tend to right click
on the titlebar and use the To Desktop submenu.

The sys admin at my previous job set his KDE desktop up so that the borders
were active and had basically zero edge resistance.  His mouse speed was also
different from mine.  Whenever I tried to look at something on his machine, I
ended up sending the mouse to the edge of the screen and across onto another
desktop.  I'm sure that you can imagine the conversations. "How do I get back
to where I was?"  "That depends what desktop you're on."  "Well, where am I?"
"Well what machine is the kterm on this desktop open to?"...

> My current setup does not allow for this.

Instructions below may be a bit off if they've moved things around.  I'm on my
laptop, which is still KDE 3.1.

> For example, it will allow
> me to have multiple things open, but they all appear on the taskbar.
> They used to appear <only> within the virtual desktop (preferred) and
> not on the rest of the taskbar.

KDE Control Center
Desktop
Taskbar

You probably want to set something like "Show only iconified windows."

> Most importantly, they are not
> currently 'draggable' from one v.d. to the other.
>
> I do not see a way to configure this, for lack of a better term,
> 'draggability' among desktops.

KDE Control Center
Desktop
Window Behavior