[TriLUG] 1G file size limit problem solved

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Nov 29 09:24:38 EST 2004

A while ago I posted about not being able to make files bigger than
1G on my Slackware machines that had been continuously upgraded
(kernel, glibc, utils etc), while I could make large files on the
Slackware machines that had been installed from new CDs. All
applications (here tested with dd) had large file support.
The disks on the older systems when NFS exported to the newer
machines would allow writing of large files.

Posting to the Slackware mailing list (in case it was a Slackware
problem) didn't solve it.

I couldn't imagine why the limit would be 2^30 bytes rather
than 2^32 (or even 2^31) bytes.

The problem, as I found out on visiting a friend for thanksgiving,
is ulimit. On my machine it's set in /etc/login.defs which has a date
of 1997.

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov