[TriLUG] SSH display variable being set incorrectly

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Mon Nov 29 12:24:49 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 12:07:51PM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:29:44 -0500, Owen Berry
> <trilugbucket at berrybunch.net> wrote:
> > I have this problem recently where when I connect to my home machine
> > via SSH the DISPLAY variable gets set according to the host I came
> > from (example dargo.trilug.org:0.0) instead of using the SSH tunnel
> > (example localhost:10.0). If I set the DISPLAY manually everything
> > works fine, so it's not that X forwarding is not working.
> >
> > Any suggestions on why this would be happening?
>
> 1. It's turned off in the X-server

No, it's turned on and works correctly if the DISPLAY variable is set
correctly.

$ grep X11Forwarding /etc/ssh/sshd_config
X11Forwarding yes

> 2. It's turned off as a default option for the ssh client

Host *
    ForwardX11 yes

> 3. You didn't specify -X on the ssh command-line?

I tried that, even though it's the default on the client side.

> Try running ssh with the -X and -vvv options to see what's happening.

Couldn't figure anything out from that. Relevant lines:

debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth list :0.0 2>/dev/null
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel 0: request x11-req

So it seems to be trying to do the right thing.

Thanks for the suggestions, but no luck so far. Note that it used to
work correctly. I don't usually use it so I'm not sure exactly when it
stopped working, otherwise I would penalize the relevant update.

Thanks,
Owen