[TriLUG] Re: Port alternatives for mail.trilug.org?

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Mon Nov 29 13:51:05 EST 2004

Mozilla and Thunderbird both work well with port 587.  I've been using
that technique to insert mail into my home server from wherever for
some time.

Set your outbound SMTP server to use port 587 and select the TLS option.

--[Lance]

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> mail.trilug.org has always listened to port 465 which is the smtps
> port, but you
> must connect using SSL (not STARTTLS) which mozilla mailers have problem
> with.  I've also just opened up the mail "submission" port (587) which
> is defined
> as a mail submission port (for clients) only.   You must use STARTTLS to
> startup SSL before it will work, though (just like you would on port 25) and
> you must login to be able to submit mail there.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner
>

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:15:01 -0500 (EST), bp <bp at itchy.kicks-ass.org> wrote:
>
>>Will mail.trilug.org accept mail on any other port than 25?
>>My employer and COX broadband both squash outbound 25 connections.  I was
>>kind of hoping that mail.trilug.org would listen to another port for
>>authenticated smtp for my mail client.
>>
>>-bp
>>
>>--

  Celebrate The Circle: http://www.celebratethecircle.org/
  Carolina Spirit Quest:  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
  My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/labrown/
  GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9