[TriLUG] Dieing hard drive?

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Nov 30 06:50:51 EST 2004

Lance A. Brown wrote:

>How many sectors should generate read failures during a long selftest?

None?

>I'm up past 25 and counting at this point.

Eek!  Time to recover what data you can, and move on.  In my experience,
in your situation, the more you read from the drive the more it's going
to go down hill.  Pick your critical files, pull them off, then try and
do a full backup.  Take what you can and start to recover to a new drive.

>Every time I re-run the selftest it just coughs up another read failure
>on a new sector.

I'm not sure if this is what you're running, but you should pull down
Maxtor's PowerMax software to see what it thinks of your drive.  If it
passes both tests, you're drive is probably fine.  If it fails, time to
shop.  Note: this software requires windows to actually make the
floppies that you boot from to diagnose the disk (how amazingly
annoying).  You can find it here:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=22

>Time to start shopping for a disk deal?

I'd recommend picking up something with a longer warranty than the (I'd
guess 1yr) warranty on your existing Maxtor.  The Western Digital 160JB
is a nice pick (7200rpm, 8MB cache).  It's a bit larger than your
existing drive and (hopefully) with a 3yr warranty you'll have time to
actually fill it up.  :)  Cost at NewEgg, $94.69 (after shipping)...
although it's not in stock.  Cost at your local Intrex, $109.99.  Cost
after your TriLUG discount (if you're a card-carrying member) $105.20.
Yes, it's in stock.  :)  If you have the option to go Serial ATA, you
might want to look at similar drives, although the prices and
availability will be naturally different.

Unfortunately drives dying is par for the course these days.  Falling
prices have roughly equated to falling quality, when considered in
aggregate over the past ~8 years.  Hopefully the recent trend (led by
Maxtor) back to 3yr warranties will hold the manufacturers to higher
quality standards... but somehow I doubt it.

Aaron S. Joyner