[TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Tue Nov 30 09:39:46 EST 2004

john mitchell wrote:
>> Aaron S. Joyner wrote:
>
>> ...you should pull down Maxtor's PowerMax software....
>> http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuite...........
>
>    This sounds like a job for "Ultimate Boot CD". More powerful than a
> single program, able to boot without windows, the UBCD serves truth,
> justice, and the American idea of free enterprise - it's free. If you
> have access to another PC with a CD/R) then download the UBCD from (the
> basic version is 107 Meg):
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
>    It has the Maxtor PowerMax software on it and is self-booting - who
> needs windows!
>    I find that the UBCD is a great tool to keep in my pack of testing
> tools.

Cool.  I'll have to check that out.

I ran the PowerMax tester.  The short test failed, the long test found
errors and I went ahead and let it repair them.  Supposedly the disk
passes the tests now, but I'm still leery.

I hate not being able to trust my system...

--[Lance]

--
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/