[TriLUG] Dieing hard drive?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Nov 30 10:58:55 EST 2004

> Unfortunately drives dying is par for the course these days.  Falling
> prices have roughly equated to falling quality, when considered in
> aggregate over the past ~8 years.  Hopefully the recent trend (led by
> Maxtor) back to 3yr warranties will hold the manufacturers to higher
> quality standards... but somehow I doubt it.

when i build new PCs for my clients, i typically use 4-10gb hard drives
salvaged from other machines.  that's right, i trust a five year old
4gb drive more than i trust a brand new 80gb drive.  the only downside
is they're a little slow due to the lower data density, but that's not
reason enough to use new piece of sh*t IDE hard drives.

since virtually every office has a file server there is zero need for
>4gb on most PCs that i encounter.  why on earth doesn't someone make
an inexpensive, quiet, reliable 4-8gb hard drive?

jason