[TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 30 11:45:44 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 11:22:19AM -0500, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> Unless some of you know of an inexpensive backup system that is larger than
> DVD and Travan tapes.  By inexpensive, I mean less than $500.  The $200 and
> under range would be better, but I'm not keeping my hopes up too far.

My system:

IDE drive swap bay:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210-BLK&cat=HDD
$7.95

4 spare trays for bay:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GN210-2-BLK&cat=HDD
$6.10 ea

4 60GB IDE drives (around 50 each, mattering on source)

I have a script that tar-and-bzips everything once a week, and then adds files
that have changed nightly.

At the end of the week, swap to next bay and store the previous one in a big
anti-static bag.

Total: less than $250.  I have a month of backups to recover files from.
Occasionally I'll burn irreplaceable stuff to DVD-R's.

I don't trust modern HD's much either - but they're cheap.  Buy two, and RAID-1
them.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net