[TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Nov 30 12:59:04 EST 2004

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:20:25 -0500, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph at epa.gov>
> wrote:
>> Brian Daniels wrote:
>>

>> are these hot swappable?
>>
>> Thanks Joe

The last PCI IDE controller card I bought advertised "Hot pluggable" on the
box.  For a PCI IDE card, it's (essentially) a given that it's going to be
an internal installation.  I was skeptical, and I care about my data too
much to try it..  I have been known to pull the power connector on a live
IDE drive from time to time (being careful to not do so during a write) with
no perceivable ill effects to the data, although at least in Windows, its
sudden disappearance (apparently whether or not it's 'mounted') can throw
the OS into fits (I never did this on "C:"..  just on "D:" and an unmounted
ext3-partitioned drive)..

My marginally-educated $0.02. :-)

~B