[TriLUG] Non-responsive Linux Box

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Tue Nov 30 13:48:22 EST 2004

Some preliminary things...
- How long did you wait for the app to launch?  Switch to a text console
(Ctrl + Alt + F1...F6), log in and type "uptime" [enter] to see the current
(1-minute), 5-minute, and 15-minute load averages.  Numbers over 1.0 are
pretty heavy load (from what I understand, 1.0 represents 100% CPU
utilization with no waiting-CMIAW).

- How long has the machine been up?  Is it possible that some background or
periodic task (such as logrotate) has runaway and is chewing up processor
time?  In that text console, type "top" [enter], then press T to sort by CPU
time.  If you see anything with more than a few minutes of processor time
(it will be very obvious, not a small margin), that could be your culprit,
if the underlying cause is heavy cpu load.

- Any hardware changes, particularly on-the-fly "hot" changes, that could
have thrown a process for a loop?

Just some thoughts, maybe useful maybe not. :-)

Cheers,
~Brian