[TriLUG] Dieing hard drive?

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 30 14:31:44 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:27:50PM -0500, Jason Tower wrote:

> i build and maintain a lot of PCs for my clients, and i'm speaking from
> experience.  my observation over the past several years is that recent
> hard drives (80gb and up) are -far- more likely to fail than hard
> drives from a few years ago, both after a short term of service and all
> too often right out of the box.

Seconded.  Speaking from my experience as a net admin to a small business, I see
drives go much more often than they used to.  Worse, they go without saying
goodbye.  Older drives tended to get flakey and start showing odd behaviors that
would alert the user that things were going wrong.  New drives seem to be fine
today, completely unresponsive tomorrow morning.

RAID-1 has saved me from rebuilding 3 severs in the last year.

--Brian

--
Question with boldness even the existence of a god;
because if there be one he must approve of the

--Thomas Jefferson, Aug. 10, 1787

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net