[TriLUG] RoadRunner and subnet masks

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Tue Nov 30 22:05:03 EST 2004

gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> All:
>
> Is there a simple way to determine the subnet mask of a RoadRunner
> connected device?  For whatever reason I can't see (or can't yet
> find) where in m0n0wall it would show me this.

Um, is there no way to get a routing table dump or ifconfig on m0n0wall?

> What I would like to do is set up Snort to watch my routable RR
> address get pounded by bots and whatnot.  Kind of a "for fun" thing.
> After reading the slashdot article about how fast an unpatched system
> can be compromised I would like to watch that in real time.

If it's for snort, just use /32.  You only care about attacks coming to
your IP addresses.  My guess is you only have one through RR.

Um, and do you mean that you intend to put an unpatched system up,
exposed to the wilds of the Internet?  If so, as a fellow Internet user
I politely request that you don't do this, plugging another potential
(likely) zombie out there to be used to attack other hosts.

Mike