RAID questions (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?)

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Wed Dec 1 02:57:04 EST 2004

I've been lurking here watching this thread develop, so I have some
questions I'd like to pose to those of you with more expertise than I :)

I have a spare system based on an Abit VP6, dual PIII 750, 512 MB RAM,
etc, etc, that I've been piecing together.  After much diddling I've
decided to give it to my parents as an upgrade for their PII 233 Compaq.
This being for my parents, it'll need some variant of Windows (before all
of you zealots on the list chime in, this question is still on-topic as
far as the RAID thread goes, so please don't flame me).

I'd planned on using the board's on-board RAID features so that they have
on-system redundancy for the important data (don't care about the OS, just
certain files).  I'd also planned on using a couple of 80 GB Maxtor IDE
drives (the on-board controller is IDE).

Questions:
1. Is RAIDing this puppy even a logical decision?
2. If I do want to use RAID, what level(s) do I want?
3. Do I want to use the on-board controller (this thread is starting to
sound like the answer is no)?
4. If not, how does one implement software RAID on a system as spec'ed
above?
5. Much earlier in this thread there was discussion of relative quality of
older drives vs more recent drives.  For stability and durability in a
system of this class (old :) 133 MHz PCI bus) what sorts of disk drives
would you recommend?

Many thanks in advance to all who reply with helpful suggestions.

William Sutton
Huntsville, AL, TriLUG member