[TriLUG] Wireless Help

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Wed Dec 1 12:48:57 EST 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:23:44PM -0500, David A. Cafaro wrote:
> Just a quick question but do you have the firmware for the card
> installed?  I don't know if debian includes it or not with their driver,
> but you may need to setup the firmware:
>
> http://prism54.org/firmware/
>
> This could cause the problems you are seeing.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.  I let that W word get in
the way. ;-)

Yes, I had downloaded the firmware from the prism54 site, and saved it
in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.  I then made a link, renaming the file to
"isl3980", or whatever the card shows on the cardctl status report. ( I
don't have the machine here. )

However, I did see a note on the prism54 site that Debian doesn't
include the firmware loader ( or some other tools ), but I didn't seem
to see a good solution to that.  I find a file called
/etc/hotplug/firmware.admin ( firmware.something ) which is a script
that apparently is supposed to load the firmware on demand.  How do I
tell that it works, when it works, what is supposed to trigger it, etc?

Thanks,
Brian