[TriLUG] compact flash writes

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Dec 1 17:08:11 EST 2004

I am developing an embedded Linux system that uses
a compact flash card for storage.  I have a little
bit of data that needs to be stored to the card,
but I do not want the entire disk to be mounted
read/write.

So I have made two partitions on the CF card:

   # fdisk -l /dev/sda

   Disk /dev/sda: 261 MB, 261881856 bytes
   16 heads, 32 sectors/track, 999 cylinders
   Units = cylinders of 512 * 512 = 262144 bytes

      Device Boot Start  End  Blocks  Id  System
   /dev/sda1          1   62   15856  83  Linux
   /dev/sda2   *     63  999  239872  83  Linux

My question is this.  If I write to the 16 meg
read-write partition (/dev/sda1), will the writes
be spread across the entire disk by the CF card's
internal wear-leveling?  Or will it spread the
writes only within my 16-meg read-write partition?

Alan