RAID questions (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: Dieing hard drive?)

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 18:14:04 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 02:57:04 -0500 (EST), William Sutton
<william at trilug.org> wrote:
> Questions:
> 1. Is RAIDing this puppy even a logical decision?
Of course.

> 2. If I do want to use RAID, what level(s) do I want?
Do you want speed or redundancy?  For speed, striping (RAID 0) works
well, but doubles your failure points.  For redundancy RAID 1 is
probably best, but Aaron answers this question well.  RAID 5 is good
in that you only lose 1 disks's capacity.  Chances are that your IDE
controller doesn't support RAID 5.

> 3. Do I want to use the on-board controller (this thread is starting to
> sound like the answer is no)?

My experience is that only the server versions of winderz offer any
type of software RAID.  It's certainly not available in XP.  I don't
think it's an option in 2000 either.  The onboard is your only option.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com