[TriLUG] wireless

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Dec 3 13:18:27 EST 2004

Joel Ebel wrote:

> Currently the solution for linux is to use the external modem, which
> only requires you have a working ethernet device in linux.  However,
> future linux support for the PC Card is hopeful.  The current card,
> the ct-1000 doesn't have linux drivers, though I heard a rumor they
> were working on some.  Flarion's website now lists a ct-2500, and the
> spec sheet for that specifically lists Linux as a supported operating
> system.  So if Nextel starts offering the ct-2500, then hopefully
> we'll be in good shape.
>
> Joel
>
> H Brett Bolen wrote:
>
>> Coverage is spotty in Johnston county.  when working it works well.
>> Also, coverage is thin when inside of some large buildings -- If your
>> cell phone has trouble, then so will the modem.
>>
>> An no linux support.  ( somebody correct me on this....please...).

Another great option (which I use myself) is to couple the Nextel
service with a cheap-o 802.11b router.  Stick them both with a 5v power
supply in your vehicle of choice, and roam till your heart's content.
Any where near your car, you've got Internet access, from a Wifi-enabled
PDA, or laptop, or any other device of your choosing.  You might note
that it will suck down your battery after a few days, so attaching it to
a ignition-keyed lead is a good idea.  You might also consider
installing a small circuit to allow charging of a deep-cycle battery
when the car is running, and run off the deep cycle battery when it's
not (I'm still working out the details of that in my own installation -
prohibited mostly by my disturbing lack of tinkering time these days).

Happy High Bandwidth on Wheels!
Aaron S. Joyner