[TriLUG] DVD Authoring

mutterc at nc.rr.com mutterc at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 3 21:48:30 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:19:25PM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
> Well, since you have the mpeg file, it's now a matter of converting to
> vob.  There's got to be someone here who's done that.

With my MythTV box, the open source 'dvdauthor' works fine.
It's not particularly difficult to just do a DVD with a chapter per
show, and no menus.

Once you have the files in MPEG-2 format, doing:
mkdir thedir
dvddirgen -o thedir
dvdauthor -o thedir show1.mpg show2.mpg ...
(or for bundling mpegs into chapters:
  dvdauthor -o thedir --chapters file1a.mpg file1b.mpg --chapters
  file2.mpg ... )
dvdauthor -o thedir -T

Now you have the directory, mkisofs -udf -dvd-video, Bob's your uncle.

From the docs, dvdauthor can also do menus etc., but it looks
painful and I've not been that motivated.

Corey