[TriLUG] annoying OS X issue

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 6 21:11:50 EST 2004

I think this is related to the darwin BSDish bits under the covers so
here it does.  When I am doing research on the web I will come across
links that I have never visited before.  The first time I click on one
of these links using Firefox (as well as Safari, etc) the website will
not come up and I get the following error: <website name> could not be
found, please check the name and try again.  I can then immediatly
click on the same link and it will go right through.

At first I thought this was a DNS issue so I set up my edge box (my
monowall) to be my DNS proxy of sorts (I query monowall and mono
queries the world and reports back to me).

Anyway the problem persists after I have made the DNS change.  Any
ideas regarding why this is happening?  Is anyone else suffering in
this way?  :)  My wife's laptop does the same thing as mine so I don't
think this is a "just me" thing.  For the record I am running the
latest OS X with the standard 7.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version.

Any ideas?

Greg