[TriLUG] annoying OS X issue

Matt McGrievy mcgrievy at email.unc.edu
Tue Dec 7 10:12:30 EST 2004

johnm wrote:
>  > Greg Brown wrote:
>  > The first time I click on one of these links using Firefox (as well
> as Safari, > etc) the website will not come up......
>  > Any ideas regarding why this is happening?
> Could this an IPv6 problem? please see item #8 here:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3713
>
> "*8. Turn off ipv6 so firefox loads pages faster."*
>
> john mitchell

Besides turning off ipv6, the other solution people have mentioned is to
explicitly list your DNS servers in your network settings (even if you
get them via DHCP).  MacFixit had an article on the problem around the
beginning of November if you by chance have a subscription to access the
archives.  Also, you might want to check the Apple discussions on the
support site.  It has this thread (which discusses the DNS change and
possibly re-doing a java update):

http://tinyurl.com/3wen6

-Matt