[TriLUG] Thunderbird 1.0

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu Dec 9 12:24:50 EST 2004

On 12/08/2004 08:33 PM, johnm <john280z at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I have just moved from ThunderBird on Windows98se to ThunderBird on
> Ubuntu Linux. My only complaint is that while there is a way to move
> the Address Book (export it), it appears that there is no way to move
> all my old Tb/win emails to Linux. Other than that, I love the thing.
>
> john mitchell

Actually this is not a problem -- if you're willing to manually edit the
files.  Thunderbird uses the same UNIX mbox format that Mozilla does,
and that was originally popularized by the UNIX mail/Mail and rn/trn
programs.

Make sure that Thunderbird is closed.  Open a terminal window and drill
down the directories to the Mail folder. (You can use this to find it:
	find . -type d -name Mail -print             )
Within that folder you'll recognize your account subfolders, and in there
you'll see your high-level mail folders.  Just copy the files from your
Win98 box directly into this directory, or create a new directory ending
in .sbd (something like "winmail.sbd"), and copy the file there.  Then
delete any *.msf files you find in there and in subdirectories.  That's it.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA