[TriLUG] MSN bot is pounding my website...

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 9 15:05:19 EST 2004

The following is the number of hits from MSN bot, from all MSN bot IP addresses, to my webserver (through ALL historical logs I still have around):

   1227 65.54.188.69
     58 65.54.188.70
     42 65.54.188.64
     18 65.54.188.68
      4 65.54.188.67

If I look at all traffic to my website MSN bot is still on top

   1227 65.54.188.69
    127 192.58.204.226
     59 65.54.188.70
     42 65.54.188.64
     29 64.244.30.79
     24 66.196.91.227
     19 65.87.170.103
     19 129.33.49.251
     18 65.54.188.68
     17 66.26.93.162

I know it's from MSN because it leaves the following in my log:
"msnbot/0.3 (+http://search.msn.com/msnbot.htm)"

I assume over at MSN they are trying to scrape the Internet to build up their own web search engine.  I am curious if others are seeing this same activity.

The command I used for these queries was (as root in /var/log/httpd):

for msn bot
cat access_log| grep msnbot |  awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq -c | sort -gr | head

and

for all hits
cat access_log| awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq -c | sort -gr | head

Greg