[TriLUG] postfix security

skippy1 at hickorytech.net skippy1 at hickorytech.net
Sat Dec 11 08:18:10 EST 2004

Even without seeing the headers, its a pretty common thing for spammers to
send their spam through secondary mail servers.  From the volume of this
that I've seen I assume that a fairly large percentage of the spam
software does this automatically.

The problem for the mail admin is of course that in a standard setup, the
secondary has no idea what accounts are on the primary and so blindly
accepts everything for the domain.

In sendmail its possible to set up a mail filter that accepts the spam
connection and holds it open while it queries the primary to see if its a
valid address.  If it isn't the secondary refuses the spam right then and
never queues it.  The package I've used for that is milter-ahead from
www.milter.org.  I don't know if a similar setup is possible with postfix.

Skippy