[TriLUG] gps solution

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:34:55 EST 2004

Congratulations!  Have you see the website http://www.geocaching.com/ ? O:-)

> software to use with it.  I've already found Roadmap and Gpsdrive.  I'll be
> using it both for navigation in a car and on a sailboat.
>
> Also, is there any software out there that will let me access saved tracks on
> the gps and put them on a nicer-looking map?

Look into Viking.  It will let you overlay tracks on both aerial and
topo maps downloaded from the net.  You'll probably also need
GPSBabel (I think that's the right name) to download the tracks
from your GPSr to the linux box.  If I recall correctly, Viking loads
the GPSBabel files directly.

Viking: http://gpsmaps.org/viking/
GPSBabel: http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,