[TriLUG] Advice on hard drives for oldish machine

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:32:21 EST 2004

I'm looking at addingmore storage  to my IBM Intellistation M 6889
(which is of about 1999 vintage).  I've started hosting a wiki using
mediawiki, and I'm feeling the need to have more room for images etc.
I'm considering adding two drives for backup purposes.

The machine has both SCSI and IDE support. If figure that I'm going to
go with IDE for the additional drive(s).

Right now I've got two 9GB SCSI drives which I plan to keep. I've got
a free 1" high bay for 3.5" drives. Since right now the machine has
both a CD-ROM drive and a DVD writer. I could remove the CD-ROM drive
to free up a 1.6" high bay which could hold either a 5" or 3.5" drive.
Alternatively I suppose that I could remove the floppy drive.

All of this is a long way of asking for recommendations on IDE hard
drives, preferably available locally.  Of course comments on the stuff
above is also welcome.