[TriLUG] Greylisting (Re: posting)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:55:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:29:06 -0500, Lance A. Brown <lance at bearcircle.net> wrote:
> Beware that there are *LARGE* ISPs that don't get along well with
> greylisting.  YahooGroups.com, for example, does not tolerate a temporary
> failure at all. :-(  Severely broken behaviour, but if you are supporting
> using behind a greylisted SMTP server, you need to take it into account.

Yep, that's why you have the whitelist.  I'm currently using the
postfix-gld package on Debian and am subscribed to several
Yahoo Groups and receive them without problems because
the YahooGroups server was automatically added to the
whitelist when the package was installed.

> Greylisting.org has a whitelist page
> (http://greylisting.org/whitelisting.shtml) detailing the known misbehaving
> sites that you can use to create whitelist rules in your particular
> greylisting implementation.

Yes, but that really should be an issue for the packager.  And,
as you see from above, it was. :-)

> I have found greylisting to be very effective at stopping spam, especially
> spam delivered via zombie-bot-nets.

Definitely.

Cheers,
Tanner