[TriLUG] Re: Thinkpads... *** OT ***

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 23:10:00 EST 2004

Ed Hill wrote:

> I've read that Lenovo (formerly Legend) was already building most of the
> ThinkPads.  So I don't see how the quality is going to suddenly change.
> Lenovo may eventually make a mess of things but the only real change I
> can see so far is a positive one.  Have you noticed the *much* more
> configurable "you build it" options on the web site?  Its a real
> improvement.

It's not like IBM just handed off the business, and wiped their
hands of it.  The IBM guy who washead of the PC Group is becoming
the CEO of Lenovo as part of the deal, and Lenovo is moving their
headquarters to the US.  IBM also maintained something like a 18.9%
ownership of Lenovo.  And I've heard that many (most?) of the PC Group
employees will remain employed by Lenovo.

I for one, don't see any reason to expect a sudden, prounounced
drop in the quality of the systems.

TTYL,

Phil
--