[TriLUG] Re: Thinkpads... *** OT ***

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sun Dec 19 13:18:19 EST 2004

I'd just like to point out that there is a very large difference between
manufacturing a laptop to someone's spec and designing that laptop and
manufacturing it according to your own spec.  At the moment companies are
building ThinkPads (and other IBM hardware) according to IBM's design.  My
understanding is that Lenovo is taking over the design part (the
manufacturing already belonging to non-IBM companies).  Thus there is a
potential for the design quality to drop off.

Mind you, IBM will very likely try to keep the same high standards they've
had, but with only a (what was it?  18%) interest in the "new" IBM PC
division (err, Lenovo), I don't know how much control they'll really have.
I know IBM is very much a hands-on outfit when it comes to building their
PC hardware...I just don't know.

Food for thought though.

William Sutton

As with the previous post I made on this thread, this does not reflect the
opinion of my employer, which thinks this is a great move.