[TriLUG] Re: Thinkpads... *** OT ***

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 14:16:27 EST 2004

johnm wrote:
>   I would like to point out this article on the IBM sell by Robert X:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20041209.html

This is the part that excites me:

---------- BEGIN QUOTE ----------------
In short, this is the end of the line for IBM's marriage with Intel.
Sure, they'll continue to sell boxes containing Intel (and perhaps AMD)
processors, but the historic link is severed, with the result that IBM
will be able to compete with impunity using its PowerPC and Power5
processors.

I'm really excited about the idea of IBM getting more
involved in pushing PowerPC chips.  My big hope is that
they roll out some "consumer / retail" grade PPC boxes.
That is, fairly generic boxes, with an open design, that
will take industry standard components (memory, expansion
cards, etc.) but with a Power CPU, in something like
an ATX form-factor.

TTYL,

Phil