[TriLUG] LVM woes

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Tue Dec 21 22:30:00 EST 2004

My home server is running Debian 3.0 (woody), and on it I am running LVM.
At one point, I used an FC1 rescue disc to create some logical volumes
inside the volume group.  When I booted back into Debian, the logical
volumes were a ghost of their intended selves.

# A list of all the volumes seen

reliant:~# lvscan -D
lvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
lvscan -- inactive          "/dev/vg0/data" [40 GB]
lvscan -- inactive          "/dev/vg0/squid" [1 GB]
lvscan -- inactive          "/dev/vg0/swap" [256 MB]
lvscan -- inactive          "/dev/vg0/root" [2 GB]
lvscan -- inactive          "/dev/vg0/home" [2 GB]
lvscan -- 5 logical volumes with 45.25 GB total in 1 volume group
lvscan -- 5 inactive logical volumes

# Here is an LV that was created in Debian

reliant:~# lvdisplay /dev/vg0/data
--- Logical volume ---
LV Name                /dev/vg0/data
VG Name                vg0
LV Write Access        read/write
LV Status              available
LV #                   1
# open                 0
LV Size                45 GB
Current LE             11520
Allocated LE           11520
Allocation             next free
Read ahead sectors     1024
Block device           58:0

# Here is one of the LVs I created with the FC1 rescue CD

reliant:~# lvdisplay /dev/vg0/home
lvdisplay -- logical volume "/dev/vg0/home" doesn't exist

Has anyone else been bitten by this?  Is there a way out short of wiping the
whole VG and starting over?

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5