[TriLUG] official Linux on a laptop for under $500?

Greg Brown greg at airlannetworks.com
Wed Dec 22 21:20:36 EST 2004

> I think that a deal with one of the bigger names, to offer a set of
> bottom of the line systems options etc, would do Linux better in the
> positive image department.  Think if you could get an HP, Dell, or even
> IBM/Lenovo laptop for $500 with Linux or $600 with Windows.  A
> co-worker
> bought a Dell for $600 with Wndows just last month.

I agree 100% - if Wal-Mart starts to sell lots of laptops (or
computers) bigger companies will take notice and want to get in on the
action.  Wal-Mart is, after all, the world's largest retail supplier.
Anyway, imagine if you could walk into Wal-Mart and pick up a ThinkPad,
decently equipped, for $500.  Would you?  I would.

This is Wal-Mart's first foray into this kind of thing.  It will morph
quickly.  Just like the Pickle Wars that almost bankrupted Vlassic I
would expect that a computer retail war might soon break out.

What if Wal-Mart launches a satellite to compete with Hughes Internet
Service over Satellite?  They could sell a bundled package of satellite
Internet, phone, computers, everything.  I know it sounds odd but
remember you used to be able to purchase an entire car AND a house from
Sears (the house was made out of concrete but still, that's the way it
way).

Maybe.

<heading OT>
I could be wrong.  I probably am.  Or maybe not.  All big companies get
that way by ruthlessly taking advantage of opportunities.  Some of
Wal-Mart's businesses practices suck, but that is the way it is.  Every
person that works at Wal-Mart has a job, and if that job provides the
means to meet their needs then I guess that is a good thing.  If
Wal-Mart were to pull out of California right now (to save the state
the 32 mil) how much would it cost the state to place all those people
on unemployment?  If these people could find other jobs with better
wages and more benefits, wouldn't they?
</heading OT>

Greg