[TriLUG] Backing up mail and MySql

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 09:48:31 EST 2004

Now that I've got a reasonable amount of storage for backup, I'm
thinking about how to actually implement it.

I figure that I'll use the rsync backup method which Jeremy presented.

But I have two sets of data which I think will need special processing.

1) Mail - Right now my mail spools are in mailbox format. I'm thinking
that I should consider conversion to another format such as maildir.
What's involved in such a conversion? Which mail chain programs are
sensitive to the mailbox format and need to be reconfigured. Heres
what I'm using now:
   procmail - I think this needs re-configuring
   fetchmail - I think that it doesn't care it goes through procmail
   sendmail - ?
   uwimap/pop daemon - ?

Does anyone know of a cookbook or how-to on doing a mailbox to maildir
conversion?

2) MySql - I've got a few web apps which are using MySql databases.
Everythings in MyIsam format. I figure that I'll periocally back these
up to a directory using something like the mysqlhotcopy script, and
then let rsbackup take incremental backups from there.

Any comments or advice?