[TriLUG] Filtering RPM versions

Rob Lockhart rlockhar at trilug.org
Thu Dec 23 10:59:04 EST 2004

On 12/21/2004 2:58 PM EST, Kevin Otte wrote:

>Given a directory full of RPMs, some of which are the same package, just
>different versions (eg:
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/ ),
>is there some method of deleting all but the most current version of the
>RPMs contained therein?
>
>The reason for this is to put together a CD (perhaps DVD depending on size)
>of just the most current updates to send to someone who is still stuck out
>in dialup land.

Is it always the case that subsequent RPM updates of a core release can
be upgraded using just the latest RPM built for that release?  I seem to
remember having a problem back in RH8 days of having installed
foo-1.rpm, having foo-3.rpm downloaded, but needing foo-2.rpm for
dependencies for foo-3.rpm.  I.e., if I had a fresh install, foo-1
installed, I could not install (rpm -Uvh) foo-3 directly without
installing foo-2.  I don't know if that's still the case, but that might
require having all the versions and letting rpm work out the
dependencies from what's available.  Specifically, I believe it was back
in the Mozilla-1.2 days, unless memory doesn't serve.