[TriLUG] Re: IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Thu Dec 23 20:38:45 EST 2004

Greg Brown wrote:
> Has anyone worked extensively with IBM Thinkpads and Linux?  I see there
> are "G", "T", and some other models.  What is the best to use as a Linux
> desktop replacement?  What about battery life?  I have seen battery life
> stated at six hours.  That must be with the screen off or something.
>
> Bottom line: if you could purchase a Thinkpad for linux use and only
> have one laptop to use for both work, home, etc which thinkpad would it be?

Touch choice. :-)  I've been living primarily on a Thinkpad T41 with an
extended battery since May and love it.  I chose the T41 for its
reasonable performance, relatively light weight, and good battery life.
 The T41 with extended battery gets 6-7 hours running MS Windows.  I
generally get 4-5 hours battery life running Fedora Core Linux in
X-Windows with the CPU throttled to 600Mhz.  ACPI is better supported
under Windows than Linux which is why the battery life is not as good.
I use APM for CPU speed management and suspend-to-RAM.

If you are looking for a desktop replacement you probably want something
a bit more hefty with better performance.  There is a HUGE range of
available options in the Thinkpad series.  Figure out what you want to
be able to do with the system and then match up the features against
cost and go for the best match.

--[Lance]

--
 Carolina Spirit Quest  http://www.carolinaspiritquest.org/