[TriLUG] IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Dec 23 20:55:49 EST 2004

On Thursday 23 December 2004 08:22 pm, Greg Brown wrote:
> Has anyone worked extensively with IBM Thinkpads and Linux?  I see
> there are "G", "T", and some other models.  What is the best to use as
> a Linux desktop replacement?  What about battery life?  I have seen
> battery life stated at six hours.  That must be with the screen off or
> something.
>
> Bottom line: if you could purchase a Thinkpad for linux use and only
> have one laptop to use for both work, home, etc which thinkpad would it
> be?

I'm not familiar with the newer models.  The As used to be the desktop
replacement.  That is, an A was heavier than some of the other models, but it
often came with larger hard drive, bigger screen, etc.  The R models were, I
think, built to be lighter and cheaper.  They generally had a slower CPU and
less RAM, but they still made a decent laptop.  I believe that the X models
were the ones designed for extreme portability.  I think that they were very
light but quite expensive.  The T models were the high end model.  They were
similar to the A models, but they were quite a bit lighter for roughly the
same specs.  That also made them more expensive.  :-)  The T models were also
the first to support 1 GB of RAM, for example.

---Tom  (happy owner of a T23)