[TriLUG] IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

paul ppeeler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 21:49:59 EST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:22:34 -0500, Ed Hill <ed at eh3.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 20:22 -0500, Greg Brown wrote:
> > Bottom line: if you could purchase a Thinkpad for linux use and only
> > have one laptop to use for both work, home, etc which thinkpad would it
> > be?

 Not to get on the fanatic train, but I live in a thinkpad... I have
had many over the years, the latest being a T41p. I bought the 2 GB of
ram for it and never have looked back. My battery life is terrible
since I never throttle the cpu unless on a plane, but that is my
choice. With average settings the battery life is amazing. Not to
mention, I have mysql, apache, evolution, browsers (firefox and
galeon), 5 or 6 gnome terms, Kate, amarok, gaim and a slew of other
apps running non-stop, while also having vmware sessions of different
distros (building rpms and debs or kernels) and a slew of other tasks
simultaneously. In the evenings, ripping and media tasks take over
without a hitch. Not to mention, all of this under 7lbs, supported by
acpi and apm (suspend and whatnot), a/b/g wireless(atheros card,
madwifi drivers), and at 1400x1050. I also carry around a T23 for
testing and mobile server tasks.

$.02

Paul