[TriLUG] IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Thu Dec 23 21:53:25 EST 2004

Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring.com> writes:
> Has anyone worked extensively with IBM Thinkpads and Linux?  I see
> there are "G", "T", and some other models.  What is the best to use as
> a Linux desktop replacement?  What about battery life?  I have seen
> battery life stated at six hours.  That must be with the screen off or
> something.
>
> Bottom line: if you could purchase a Thinkpad for linux use and only
> have one laptop to use for both work, home, etc which thinkpad would it
> be?

T-series.  My current stinkpad is a T22, and I intend to get a T42
(though with the way I procrastinate, they may be up to a T43 by the
time I get around to it).

Thorougly decked out, the T series has the best performance/battery
life ratio---2.1Ghz Pentium-M (anything faster is going to be non-M,
which means often dramatically shorter battery life), 60GB 7200RPM
drive, and with the 9-cell battery, four or five hours of usable time.

They also have all the amenities like Bluetooth, gigantic screens,
high-end ATI 3D, DVD-burners, etc.

The Rs are like the T series of yesteryear---heavier, slower, cheaper.
Gs are the budget line now, and not worth looking at if you really
want this to be your only machine.

The Xs get up to 1.7Ghz, and are ultra-portable; my boss during my
recent stint at the DNC had one that he would pick up by one corner
and just carry everywhere.  They use 1.8" HDs, though, which really
restricts their capacity and speed.

Really, from my perspective, it's a T series or I start looking at
super-portables and a desktop---but I don't like the idea of having to
deal with two machines after having had just this one for so long.

Mike
--
In the fields a body's burning, as the war machine keeps turning -- Black Sabbath