[TriLUG] Backing up mail and MySql

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 12:16:57 EST 2004

Funny when I read that link to mysql backup page... everyone says my
method of backups is not a good one.  I simply stop mysql, copy the
files from /var/lib/mysql to my backup location, start mysql and walk
away.  You will notice on that link it is clearly written as an
acceptable method of backup.  Those who told me know who you are!  ;)

"You can also simply copy all table files (`*.frm', `*.MYD', and
`*.MYI' files) as long as the server isn't updating anything."

Obviously if mysql is stopped, the server won't be updating anything.
I realize this method means my databases are down for a very short
time.  I would most likely look into other options if stopping my
database was an issue.  :)

my $0.01,
David McD