[TriLUG] Mandrake frustrations

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Mon Dec 27 01:24:40 EST 2004

Add another couple frustrations to my list:
- I switched my KVM to my Windows system (Belkin OmniCube 4-port) to play
a little relaxing Minesweeper.  When I switched back to the Mandrake
system, the mouse pointer started flickering all over the screen left- and
right-clicking like nuts...couldn't get it back short of rebooting.
- I had chosen a security setting of "higher" on install since the
suggestions for each level said "if you're planning to have services on
the internet, use 'higher'."  Since I am, I did.  I find I can't ssh
outside my network as me...have to do so as root, yet I can't login
directly as root (have to do so as me).  This is bizare in the extreme.
- As a side issue, on my first install, when the Mandrake installer was
prompting me to add users, I swear it did an ls of my existing /home
partition to determine potential users.  The partition looked rather like

/home
    /backup/
    /home.tar
    /william/

It prompted me in order for users "william" and "home.tar", and wouldn't
let me go until I actually entered a user for "home.tar."  Of course since
it didn't think that "." was a valid character in a username, it griped at
me until I changed it to "home".

This is really steaming me.

I liked Red Hat enough to follow it up through 7.x.  I upgraded to 9 since
my motherboard manufacturer (Iwill, the board is a DPL-533) said that they
guaranteed the board was usable with 7.3 and 9.  I haven't really liked
any Red Hat release since 7.2 (particularly since they have made it
impossible to get Enlightement working and have stripped mp3 support out
of XMMS).

I tried Gentoo on this system (full install once, gave up during the
install process almost a year later) because of random lockups,
particularly when trying to compile (which is a real damper when trying to
run Gentoo as darned near everything is compiled).

I am making this stab at Mandrake because it has been alleged that
Mandrake has easy Enlightenment support (OK, I had to go off on a
dependency hunt since apparently the only way to officially get it is to
buy yet another CD from Mandrake, but the rpms I found still installed;
no chance to test yet) and because it allegedly is easy to install and
use.

I'm getting to the point where I'm really wondering why I don't just cave
in to the evil beast in Redmond.

William