[TriLUG] Mandrake frustrations

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon Dec 27 15:11:44 EST 2004

On 12/27/2004 02:07 AM 0400, Jason Faulkner <jasonlf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm getting to the point where I'm really wondering why I don't just
>> cave in to the evil beast in Redmond.
>
> /me doesn't want to start a distro war
>
> but...
>
> I've never had any issues similar to yours using any other distro. I'd
> reccomend giving Debian Sarge a try.

You can also go ahead and spend a little money (~ $89) and get Xandros 3.0
(Xandros used to be Corel Linux).  It is Debian based, with a much improved
installer and device detection and package management tools over a straight
Debian system.  That money buys you technical support for installation and
issues, and the ability to run quite a number of MS-Win applications
directly under CrossOver Office 3.0.1.  Caveat for must Linux power users,
is that is may seem _too_ Microsoft like, because they used KDE and changed
it to function very close to a Win-98 or Win-XP system (your choice of look),
down to device names, some directory re-arrangements, and even a MS-like
file manager.  Tell you what though -- it makes it easy to play video's,
streams, audio files and burn CD's and DVD's straight out of the box in a
GUI fashion.  Oh, and install time is less than 1/2 hour.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA