[TriLUG] accessing mail.trilug.org, port 993

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Dec 28 18:10:39 EST 2004

I played with traceroute and I don't understand any of the
results.  I just have not used traceroute enough to interpret
what I found.

However, the short-term solution that worked... the swiss army
knife of networking, SSH port forwarding.

ssh -N -g -L 993:mail.trilug.org:993 porter at login.trilug.org &

Then I changed my mail client to look at localhost:993 for my
mail.  Now, when I check my mail, my request goes through a tunnel
to "dargo", which forwards my request on to the mail server.

For the long term, I hope that BellSouth or Time Warner or
"alter.net" or the Trilug sysadmins figure out what the blockage
is.  In the meantime, I plan to play with traceroute and openssl
and the other tools that were suggested to me by the helpful
folks on this list.  :-)

Alan