[TriLUG] accessing mail.trilug.org, port 993

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Wed Dec 29 14:58:55 EST 2004

Bellsouth is blocking 25 for all new customers and those who "upgrade"
their existing service. They are blocking inbound and outbound 25 and
will lie to your face if you ask them about it. This started about 7-8
months ago.  I "upgraded" to extreme and went around and around with
them for a week before finally getting them to admit the blocking was in
place. I  shifted to Road Runner when I moved and told Bellsouth why I
would not be transfering the DSL to my new number when I disconnected my
service.

I understand the need to block outbound 25, I was smart relaying out
through their SMTP anyway. To block inbound 25 is an attempt to force
people to pay more for their business class service. Unfortunately, they
won't sell you business service without a business phone line, which
they won't sell you if you don't have a "business". Believe me I tried
to give them my money, they would not take it.

Oh, and once I figured out the blocking was in place it took me less
than an hour to figure a way around it using a port forwarding service.
So it is a pretty ineffectual tactic on BS's part. BTW I specifically
told them when I signed up and before I did the upgrade that I needed to
run a web and mail server and was given the OK if I bought the static IP
address so they can't fall back on the "running servers is not
permitted..." clause. It doesn't exist in my user agreement either.

Dave S.