[TriLUG] accessing mail.trilug.org, port 993 - solved

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Dec 31 10:36:59 EST 2004

Thanks for your summary, Tanner. I have found the problem. I
rebooted my DSL modem and everything starting working again.

Last week, I had tried rebooting my firewall box (a Linux box
running iptables), but for some reason, it never occurred to me
to cycle power on the DSL modem.

I feel a little stupid for assuming that the problem was on the
Trilug end. But having never used traceroute before, it sure
looked like I could get 99% of the way to moya.

 > 2. Alan, is your DSL connection on kr4jb.dyndns.org? If so, then
 > I think the problem is on your end. From dargo I can "traceroute
 > -I" all the way to your host but on moya it fails at the very last step.

My iptables rules block pings. So that explains why you can't traceroute
to me.

However, I can now traceroute -I mail.trilug.org, whether I block pings
or not. This must be because on outbound traceroutes, I am not looking
for pings in return. I am looking for ICMP TLL errors?

Either way, for now, I have turned ICMP/ping blocking off.

 > That, to me, indicates that your system is trashing packets to/from
 > 64.244.27.141. Try checking your syslogs. If you're running iptables,
 > it should log something when you drop a packet. Alternatively, turn
 > off your firewall and see if that makes things work.

Last week, I did just that. I turned off the firewall and I still could not
reach moya. Now I see that my DSL modem was the culprit.

Thanks again to everyone for the troubleshooting help. I can now add
a new tool (traceroute) to my tool box.

Alan