[TriLUG] Defeated by a website..

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Dec 31 13:05:04 EST 2004

I can attest to IE6 running in CrossOver Office 3.0.1 just fine.  In
fact, you cannot install MS Office (2001 or XP) without it.  Just do
not install the updates that it insists on.  Also, a lot of "Active-X"
stuff does not work, but you don't want it to.  Note that IE6 under
CrossOver Office is "safer" than in MS Windows, since a great chunk
of the security holes become useless under WINE.

I have a similar problem -- I need to test websites for compatibility
with MSIE after developing them to standards, and I was maintaining an
old Win-98 system just for that.  But on this system that I posting
with now, MSIE behaves the same under CrossOver as it does under Win-98,
and so I can test for compatibility issues without switching platforms.
You can also put Mozilla and MSIE windows side by side to see the
differences.

The only caveat is font rendering.  I found that you want to install
all of MS-Office's fonts under CrossOver Office, and then follow the
instructions in the OpenOffice docs that describe copying them to make
them visible to OpenOffice and X-Windows.  Side benefit is that when
testing sites that call for Microsoft fonts, Mozilla and others will
be able to render with them directly.  Note that Star Office comes
with more fonts than OpenOffice, so I combined MS-Office's set and
Star Office's set so that both have all fonts, and then hard-linked
OpenOffice's font directory to Star Office's font directory.  It is
nice to see some websites rendered in the Bitstream fonts over MS's.
Another side benefit is that Adobe renders PDF's calling for Microsoft
fonts more correctly, and you loose the font problems when editing
docs in OpenOffice that are then pulled up in MS Office.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA