[TriLUG] Debian Sarge is dying somehow

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Fri Dec 31 13:44:47 EST 2004

On Friday 31 December 2004 12:52 pm, Brian Henning wrote:

>   Before this machine was loaded with Linux, it was a 98 machine that had
> started to bluescreen uncontrollably.

Given that history, it sounds like a hardware problem.

My co-worker had a similar experience with the first install of Win NT he ever
did.  Shortly after install, Win NT started bluescreening.  At first, he was
getting a BSOD every day.  Then a couple of times a day.  Then about every 30
minutes.  We had heard that Win NT was still somewhat unstable, but we had
never imagined something like that!

He finally repartitioned the drive and installed Red Hat Linux on it.  X hung
after a few minutes.  Reboot.  Same problem.  Reboot.  Don't start X.
Connect to the box remotely.  Hang.

I believe the problem in that case was either the video card, the network
card, or some strange motherboard problem involving the PCI slots those cards
were in.  I remember troubleshooting involving playing musical PCI slots with
the cards in the failing machine and swapping cards with another machine
(identical configuration).

Good luck,
---Tom