[TriLUG] Installing Debian Stable on old hardware

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Fri Dec 31 20:09:33 EST 2004

Paul,
  Which release of Debian did you use?  I just tried that approach with
Sarge and my dad's laptop..  Seemed to get the base system "installed" okay,
but I couldn't get grub installed.  I tried booting from floppy with the
drive in the Stylistic anyhow, specifying root=/dev/hda3, but for some
reason it didn't like that.  The error messages were quite cryptic and I
don't remember them exactly, but it was something to the effect of it
couldn't find /dev/hda3 (although I'm certiain it's there...).

Do you still have your Stylistic around?  Would you consider bringing it to
a meeting (if you can make it)?  I'd be very interested in seeing it
working.

Thanks,
~Brian