[TriLUG] To syslog or not syslog

Master Shake digitalriptide at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 02:39:39 EST 2005

Fellow trilugers,
Many programs (such as BIND) have the option of logging information
either by syslog, or by bypassing syslog and writing directly to a
file. What are the advantages of each approach? As I see it, logging
through syslog has the following advantages:

A) Syslog (or similar utility) provides a central point of a control.
B) Logging through syslog allows one to take specific action at given
thresholds or urgency (IE emailing admin at foo.com on receipt of an
alert or emerg).
C) One can send logs to a remote server.

Logging directly to a file has the following advantages:

A) Simplified configuration
B) More specific log files without external configuration (IE using
syslog-ng's match to separate iptables logs from web server logs)

Thats my quick and dirty two cents. What are everyone experiences with
the issue?

Happy New Years!