[TriLUG] 64-bit Linux questions

willg at pihlopase.net willg at pihlopase.net
Sat Jan 1 14:25:14 EST 2005

Scott
I can comment on everything but the case. I bought an AMD64 3000+ a few
months ago.
You can run 32 bit applications with 32 bit compatibility libraries, which
are installed by default. For example, I was able to simply copy my
Neverwinter Nights directory from my old drive, and once 3d accel was
setup properly, run the nwn binary with no extra tweaking.  There is some
great documentation from the Debian AMD64 port at Alioth:

https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

I run the Ubuntu (Debian) 64bit version and it works great. Sun provides a
native 64 bit version of their jre so yo can have a java plugin for
Firefox. The one thing I do not have working is Flash. Other than that,
the audio apps you wish to run are part of the Debian 64bit sources,
Audacity is there, as well as Ardour. I know of one other person on the
list that has recently gone the 64 bit route, hopefully we can get their
experience too. I am quite happy with it at this point. Hope this helps.

Bill