[TriLUG] linksys WRT54G router question

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon Jan 3 09:14:24 EST 2005

On Sat, January 1, 2005 6:38 pm, gregbrown at mindspring.com said:
> I know there are several people who have this router because it is
> running a hackable, modifiable version of linux.  So I have a couple
> questions for you:
>
> 1. can you run cron jobs, like 'init 6' or 'shutdown -r now"?
> 2. can you configure it to only associate with other linksys devices
> such as access points?  The linksys WAP54G access points that I have
> deployed down at the outer banks can be configured to only associate
> with other linksys access points and I have created a high-speed
> wireless "backbone" that connects lower speed 802.11b access points
> which are configured to allow anyone to associate with them.  I need
> to install another "segment" on the network on the sound-side of the
> campground and I'd like to go ahead and route that segment if I can,
> but the big requirement is to have the WRT54G router only associate
> with the existing backbone using WAP54G access points?  Is this
> possible?
> 3. Does the WRT54G have a DHCP server built-in?
>
> Just curious.
>
> Greg

Although I don't believe you can hack it, Dlink makes a WAP, that does
point to point and multipoint.  I can't remember the model # right
now. My brother has one and has not had issues.  Dlink also seems to
be ahead of the game with outdoor models and high gain antenna's.

Here is one, there maybe others that would work.  This one has POE
builtin, so you don't need and outlet.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=356

Matt